What to look for – from Skills highway. When you know what to look for, the skills gaps will become obvious. Here are the eight most frequent signs.
- Mistakes: work frequently has to be re-done. Basic errors hold up the workflow. Instructions are often misunderstood. Employees do not pay enough attention to their jobs.
- Poor paperwork: forms, reports and job costings are completed incorrectly or left unfinished.
- Excessive wastage: wastage levels are higher than they should be. Putting in place incentives or penalties to reduce wastage makes little or no difference.
- Limited feedback from employees: employees are reluctant to make comments, suggestions or give feedback. They shy away from problem solving and decision making.
- Customer complaints: customers complain frequently about receiving no response, incomplete orders or the wrong information.
- Accidents: your business has more workplace accidents – or near accidents – than it should, even though you provide health and safety training.
- Resistance to new initiatives: your employees resist making changes and come up with excuses to avoid starting a new initiative or taking on more responsibility.
- Staff turnover and absenteeism: staff turnover is higher than you’d expect. Your employees take a day off when training is scheduled. They turn down promotion opportunities.
These signs will show up those employees who have difficulty with reading, writing, maths or communication.
Take the test
Skills Highway ‘Take the test’ tool will give you a high-level view of the impact that low literacy and numeracy skills are having on your business. It will help you identify skills gaps for an individual, a team, or across your whole organisation.
Do this test now to help identify what action to take. Then you can make some informed decisions.